The United Empire Loyalists of Canada - Bicentennial Branch (Southwestern Ontario)
 
Articles
Untitled Document
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


The Loyalist Rose

The flourishing Loyalist rose found in a flower bed on the front lawn of the OPP Station, Division Street, Kingsville, ON.  was planted by Branch charter members, Margaret Lewis UE and Jean Arner Walton UE in 1990. The rock on which the name plaque is found came from the farm of John Miner, the grandson of famed conservationist, Jack Miner.

This antique rose, identified as "Maidenís Blush" of the Rosa alba family, is illustrated in many Renaissance paintings, notably Botticelliís "Birth of Venus". It was taken to England from Damascus during the Crusades period.

In 1773 John and Mary Cameron brought it with them when they emigrated from Scotland to Sir William Johnson's estates in Western New York. In 1776 John joined the Kingís Royal Regiment of New York and the family took a root with them on the 230 mile trek over the Appalachians to the Cornwall area. It was a treasured possession, vital to their survival: from its flowers, stalks, leaves and hips, they could make medicines, tea and many delicacies.

Two hundred years later in 1976, Ethel Macleod, a descendant of John and Mary Cameron, registered "The Loyalist Rose" with the International Registration Authority for Roses and donated it to The United Empire Loyalists of Canada to mark the Bi-Centennial of the American Revolution and the coming of the Loyalists to Canada.

It is a cupped, double, very fragrant pale pink rose, fading almost to white, bushy, densely branched, blooming well in June. During the 2007 Dominion Conference which was hosted by the Bicentennial Branch, approximately 100 Loyalist roses were distributed to conference participants. As a result of this venture, progeny of the original rose can now be found coast to coast in Canada.

Untitled Document

Copyright © 2017  UELAC -  Bicentennial Branch  All Rights Reserved.
Web Design by R. James Frith & Associates Inc.